Can you Have a Loved One Involuntarily Put into a Sober Living Home?

Boynton Beach, FL
2000 Sq Ft
3 Beds
2 Baths
Men’s House

Can you have a loved one involuntarily put into a sober living home? No. While there are some states that do allow for involuntary drug rehab commitments in some cases, this doesn’t apply to sober living. For one thing, sober living homes are groups of recovering addicts who want to stay clean. They are there voluntarily. Sober living homes are not prisons. They’re not a locked facility like most residential treatment centers are. Residents can come and go as they please as long as they observe the curfew and certain other rules. Someone who doesn’t want to be there can just leave at any time and not return.

Sober Living isn’t Jail

You can’t force someone to go to sober living, but you might be able to talk them into it. This is your best option. This article will explain what sober living is. However, you need to know that someone shouldn’t go to sober living unless they’re at the very least clean from their drug of choice for a bare minimum of 10 days. That means no drug use at all and no acute withdrawal symptoms, either. This is a minimum requirement. You really should attend a drug rehab recovery program first. However, sober living homes only have one entry requirement: You have a strong desire to stay clean.

If you’re motivated enough, you might be able to stay clean with just sober living. You’ll have a much better chance of success if you go to drug treatment first, though. You also need to understand that the odds are very much against you if you don’t attend drug treatment first. It’s also possible that some sober living homes may not admit you without some type of previous drug treatment.

There is also the issue of long-term sobriety. If you attend sober living without some basis in drug recovery, you may not be able to maintain that sobriety after leaving the facility. However, everyone is different.

Sober Living

These are residences strictly for people who want to stay sober. They are sometimes homes in ordinary neighborhoods, where you may share a room with one or more same-sex residents. Others may be in converted motels. Some are small apartment complexes. Some of them are co-ed; others are same-sex only. However, even the co-ed ones are strictly segregated in the living quarters arrangements.

You will attend mandatory meetings, and there will be a curfew. Other than that, you are free to come and go. You will be required to spend your time in some kind of meaningful way. This could be working at an outside job, volunteering, working in the facility or on the grounds or going to school. It could also be anything that has to do with sobriety. If you wanted to attend substance abuse classes instead of something else. that would be acceptable.

There will be rent, but it’s often affordable and not too bad. You will need to pay for your own personal items. There will be house rules and chores. It’s best just to obey them and do whatever work is assigned to you without complaining. It’s all about compliance and following the rules. You have to be considerate of others. If you cause problems, you will be asked to leave. Sober living is your lifeline to sobriety, so you want to avoid that at all costs.

Group Meetings

The home will probably offer group meetings like AA. If you’re not comfortable with faith-based programs, choose another home that has alternatives. There are lots of alternatives to faith-based programs, and many of them hold meetings in sober living homes. It’s important to clear this up before you commit to a sober living home, because at least some of these meetings are likely to be mandatory.

Sober Living for Women with Children

There are some sober living homes for women with children. There may or may not be any in your area, but they do exist. These allow you to have your children living with you while you’re working on your recovery in sober living. These are never co-ed. It’s just for women with children. You will be able to work if you want to or need to. While you’re at work, another resident will watch your children. You will do the same for other residents when they need to be away from the facility.

Call us for Help

If you’re concerned about a family member with a drug problem, please call us. We are familiar with this kind of problem, and we have resources to help you. Just call 866-963-7200 anytime. A trained drug counselor will listen to your situation and help you find the best solution for you.

Get Started Today

Take The First Step in Your Recovery Today